Job Title : Apprentice Teaching Assistant
Employer : Holywell Church of England Middle School
Location : Cranfield, Bedfordshire, MK43 0JA
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools - Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Education
Vacancy Reference - : VAC-11105
Vacancy Short Description : Holywell School are seeking a Teaching Assistant to join the team, the successful applicant will be working under the direction of a Teacher to assist special educational needs pupils in lessons.
Qualifications Required : 3 GCSEs A* - D (Including English and Maths), or an equivalent level qualification.
Vacancy Full Description : Holywell School are seeking a Teaching Assistant to join the team. The successful applicant will be working under the direction of a Teacher to assist special educational needs pupils in lessons. Reporting to the School SENDCo, the primary purpose of your role with be to assist in the support and inclusion of children with Special Educational Needs within a mainstream school.
This position will comprise of three main areas; Supporting the Pupils, supporting the Pupil(s) will involve the following duties:
- Taking into account the special needs involved, to aid the pupil(s) to learn as effectively as possible both in group situations and independently within the classroom and with withdrawn groups / individuals.
- To develop an understanding of the specific needs of the pupil(s) concerned, drawing on knowledge of various forms of special needs.
To aid the pupil(s) to learn as effectively as possible both in group situations and on his/her own by, for example: Clarifying and explaining instructions. Ensuring the pupil is able to use equipment and materials provided. Motivating and encouraging the pupil(s). Assisting in areas of weakness e.g. behaviour, language, spelling, reading, handwriting and presentation. Helping pupils to concentrate on and finish work set. Meeting physical and emotional needs as required whilst encouraging independence. Liaising with teachers, SENDCo, Assistant SENDCo and EAL Co-ordinator to devise complementary learning activities. Developing appropriate resources to support the pupil(s). Assisting in writing and delivery of Student Profiles. To establish a supportive relationship with the pupil(s). To develop methods of promoting and reinforcing the pupils' self-esteem. To run intervention groups to support pupils' learning and progress.
Supporting the Teacher(s) will involve the following duties:
To assist the teacher(s) and other professionals as appropriate, in the development of a suitable programme of support (Student Profiles) for the pupil(s) with special needs.
- To be aware of the modifications required for the lessons and the resources required.
- To provide regular feedback about the pupil to the teacher and maintain a record of the pupils' progress.
- To assist with the differentiation of work and advise on strategies which will help to achieve the targets on the Student Profiles.
- To participate in the evaluation of the support programme.
Supporting the School will involve the following duties:
- To develop a knowledge and understanding of the statutory
requirements and regulations of the National Curriculum and the SEN Code of Practice.
- To contribute to the reviews of the pupils' progress and attend Annual Review Meetings
- To attend relevant in-service training
- To liaise, advise and consult with the other members of the pupils' support team, when asked to do so.
- Where appropriate, to develop a relationship to foster links between home and school.
- To follow school procedures and practice to protect confidentiality in dealing with pupils and families
- To undertake any other duties of a similar level and responsibility as may be required from time to time.
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 28.75 hours per week (Mon-Fri) 09:00 to 15:45
Salary : £98.88 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 25/06/2017
Possible Start Date : 04/09/2017
Personal Qualities : The successful candidate must be caring and patient in their nature and approach to young people, have an interest in working within the SEND sector as well as being reliable and trustworthy
Skills Required : Understanding the needs of children in educational setting.
Ability to work collaboratively with others.
Willingness to acquire basic IT skills
Future Prospects : To pursue a career within a teaching environment and should any future vacancies arise within the school, you would be welcome to apply.
Training to be Provided : You will gain the following qualifications:
Supporting Teaching & Learning in Schools City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate
Employment Rights and Responsibilities
Equality & Diversity NCFE Level 2 Certificate
Personal, Learning and Thinking Skills
English, Maths and ICT qualifications if required.
Other Information : Candidates must attend an initial interview with a member of the Bedford College Apprenticeship Recruitment Team if they meet the initial criteria as part of the recruitment process.
The postholder must at all times carry out his/her job responsibilities with due regard for Equal Opportunities and will be subject to an enhanced BDS clearance.
Things to consider : This vacancy is based on working in a classroom, working closely with pupils sometimes on a 1-1 basis.
The map below shows the employer's location