Job Title : Apprentice Learning Support Assistant
Employer : Kempston Challenger Academy
Location : Bedford, Bedfordshire, MK42 7EB
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools - Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Education
Vacancy Reference - : VAC-11138
Vacancy Short Description : To work with the Assistant Head for Inclusion and Head of SEND to address the needs of students who need help to overcome barriers to learning in order to achieve their full potential. To support the learning and provide for the care and welfare of student
Qualifications Required : Candidates must have GCSE A*-C (predicted 4-9) or a Level 2 equivalent
Vacancy Full Description : .
SUPPORT FOR STUDENTS
• Provide care and support inside and outside the classroom for one or more individual students during the academy day:
o form a close, caring and purposeful relationship with target student/s
o where appropriate, offer support to other students in the same class as the target student/s
o monitor students’ responses to learning and accurately record achievement and progress as directed
• Withdraw identified students from some classes and work with them on either a one-to-one basis or in a small groups to support their learning and to develop literacy, numeracy and social skills
• Assist students’ language development with appropriate support for reading, writing, speaking, asking and listening
• Work with students in small groups to develop language skills and literacy levels outside the classroom environment
• Facilitate small group work in the classroom, and in particular create time for the subject teachers to work with students who have SEND
• Support individual students through assessments, tests and examinations, in line with the KCA procedures and as agreed with examining bodies
• Assist with the students’ personal, behavioural and social development through appropriate guidance and advice within the context of the teacher’s overriding responsibility for behaviour management in the classroom. Take a constructive role in preventing/minimising the effects of emotional and behavioural incidents
• Accompany students with specific difficulties on trips or visits
SUPPORT FOR THE TEACHER
• Work with the teacher to establish an appropriate learning environment for SEND students
• In collaboration with class teachers, support lesson planning, the assessment and reporting of the development of SEND students
• Provide general clerical / admin support e.g. administer coursework, produce worksheets for agreed activities for SEND students
• Assist staff in the acquisition and preparation of resources which will facilitate wider inclusion for all students
• Promote positive values, attitudes and good student behaviour, dealing promptly with conflict and incidents in line with established policy and encourage students to take responsibility for their own behaviour
SUPPORT FOR THE CURRICULUM
• Work with subject teachers to plan a differentiated curriculum:
o support students’ learning in consultation with teachers during lessons
o prepare materials to assist the teaching of students’ with the support and guidance of the Head of SEND and teachers to ensure differentiated material is available for all students
o assist with the planning of learning activities and administer routine tests;
• Support the KCA in evaluating their inclusive practice for SEND students
SUPPORT FOR THE ACADEMY
• Be aware of and comply with KCA polices relating to child protection, health and safety, confidentiality and data protection
• Be aware of and support difference, and ensure all SEND students have equal access to opportunities to learn and develop
• Establish constructive relationships and communicate sensitively and effectively with other professionals, teachers, parents/carers and Head of SEND to support the achievement and progress of students
• Assist in the writing and updating of EHCP’s
• Support the implementation of EHCP’s and Pastoral Support Plans
• Monitor and report on the implementation of all EHCP’s and assist with record keeping
• Support the administration work of the Inclusion faculty by liaising with outside agencies, in particular the examining bodies and educational psychologists
• With the Head of SEND, liaise with the LA to ensure that arrangements for annual reviews and transitional reviews of SEND students take place, and to assist in the maintenance of the necessary and relevant documentation
• Support the assessment procedures for all students entering the academy, to identify those students who need extra help to overcome barriers to learning. These procedures include: initial reading assessments for all students and the organisation and delivery of the CATs
• Determine the need for, prepare and maintain general and specialist equipment and resources
• Help students access specialist learning resources as required
• Keep up-to-date knowledge of the range of external agencies and opportunities that can be used to provide extra support for students
Essential Desirable Evidence
Qualifications and experience
• Previous experience working with children.
• Education to secondary school level at least.
• A knowledge of special educational needs.
• Good levels of literacy and numeracy
• Competent ICT skills
• Previous experience working in a school setting.
• Relevant qualification with regard to working with children e.g. NVQ 2.
• GCSE English and Mathematics L2 *A, I, D
• Ability to plan and organise.
• Ability to recognise and identify problems.
• Ability to record and pass on information accurately.
• Ability to cope with many roles/ responsibilities.
• Understanding of the importance of parental involvement. *A, I, R
Special skills and interests
• Ability to encourage and enable others to develop their full potential.
• First aid
• Any extra interests related to childcare. *A, I
Disposition and attitudes
• Ability to build relationships and to lead and work as part of a team.
• A friendly, helpful, caring and flexible approach.
• Open-mindedness and patience.
• A commitment to equal opportunities.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality in all school matters.
• High levels of self-confidence.
• Ability to relate well to other professionals. *I, R
Physical attributes and other circumstances
• Ability to physically fulfil the responsibilities of the post.
• Willingness and ability to attend appropriate meetings and training.
• Reasonable personal presentation.
• Excellent punctuality.
• Flexible approach. *I, R
A = Assessed at application
I = Assessed at interview
R = Assessed through references
D = Assessed through supporting documents at interview
Number of Positions Available : 2
Working Week : 30 hrs pw 8.30am-3.00
Salary : £120.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 27/08/2017
Possible Start Date : 25/09/2017
Personal Qualities : Willingness to be flexible.
Willingness to undertake appropriate training.
Commitment to equality principles.
Ability to meet the physical needs of the students
Skills Required : Understanding the needs of children in an educational setting and the ability in the use of IT in a classroom setting.
Ability to work collaboratively with others.
Basic IT skills.
Future Prospects : To have the ambition to work towards a Higher Level Teaching Assistant qualification and status, or perhaps to pursue a qualified teaching career within the Academy Trust.
Training to be Provided : You will gain the following qualifications:
Supporting Teaching & Learning in Schools City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate
Employment Rights and Responsibilities
Equality & Diversity NCFE Level 2 Certificate
Personal, Learning and Thinking Skills
English, Maths and ICT qualifications if required
Other Information : Candidates must attend an initial interview with a member of the Bedford College Apprenticeship Recruitment Team if they meet the initial criteria as part of the recruitment process.
Things to consider : Teaching Assistants are vitally important in the classroom, and in many cases the students can not achieve to their greatest potential without the support. The Academy would require dedication and commitment at the highest level.
The map below shows the employer's location