Job Title : Health and Social Care Apprentice: Reablement Support Worker
Employer : Bedford Borough Council
Location : Bedford, Bedfordshire, MK42 9AP
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Health and Social Care - Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Health / Social Care
Vacancy Reference - : VAC-11184
Vacancy Short Description : Bedford Borough are offering the opportunity for 5 apprentices to join a committed team of Reablement Workers supporting people to regain skills they may have lost as a consequence of poor health, disability/impairment or accident.
Qualifications Required : 4 GCSEs at grades A-D or predicted 3-9 (including English and Maths), or Level 1 Functional Skills in English and Maths
Vacancy Full Description : Bedford Borough are offering the opportunity for 5 apprentices to join a committed team of Reablement Workers supporting people to regain skills they may have lost as a consequence of poor health, disability/impairment or accident.
Reablement is about giving people over the age of 18 years the opportunity, motivation and confidence to relearn/regain some of the skills they may have lost as a consequence of poor health, disability/impairment or accident and to gain skills that will help them to maintain their independence. It’s about helping people to find new ways of doing things. We work with adults across Bedford Borough whose independence may be at risk if they do not receive this service from us.
This service runs between 7.30am and 10.00pm, 365 days a year so Support Workers work 30 hours per week on an 8 week rolling rota.
Due to the nature of the role candidates must be over 18 years old to be considered
• To actively support service users within their own home to maximise / regain their independence in all aspects of their daily life, as outlined in their Individual Support Plan.
• To contribute to the continual monitoring / reviewing of the service user’s progress within the Individual Support Plan, and accurately communicate any changes with the Reablement Coordinator and/or other Social Care professionals. To complete weekly Customer Measurement tool outcomes
• To build up positive working relationships with the service users and their family/informal carers, using varied communication and enabling skills according to the individual situation.
• To identify areas of need where service user may require practical assistance to ensure safety and / or regain independence (with any aspect of daily living).
• To identify when equipment may be required to promote safety and independence, and action accordingly. To include Telecare.
• To keep accurate and timely records in accordance with departmental policy, ensuring that appropriate terminology is used and satisfying legal requirements.
• To actively participate in Bedford Borough Council’s supervision and Personal Development Review process.
• To assist with the general workload of the service and assist colleagues under guidance of Coordinators and/or Locality Manager.
• To attend mandatory training and participate in staff development courses as appropriate.
• To attend Briefings and Team Meetings.
• To work in partnership with other professionals / agencies and build up positive working relationships.
• To work under own initiative and as part of a community based team.
• To appropriately deal with any emergency situations with service users, which may arise during course of work, under guidance of Reablement Coordinators / Locality Manager / other professionals.
• To respect the service user’s dignity and respect at all times.
• To ensure that Bedford Borough Council’s policies and procedures are adhered to at all times, and ensure that professional standards are constantly met.
• To comply with Health and Safety procedures.
• To comply with Care Quality Commission (CQC) compliance to ensure high standard service provision.
• To identify alternative forms of support for individual service users, and action requests as appropriate.
• To ensure that service user confidentiality is maintained at all times.
• To attend reviews, case conferences and professional meetings, as required.
To ensure that any areas of concern are communicated with Reablement Coordinator and / or Safeguarding of Vulnerable Adults Team
Number of Positions Available : 5
Working Week : Mon-Fri 9pm-3pm
Salary : £168.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 05/11/2017
Possible Start Date : 13/11/2017
Personal Qualities : Be able to work without supervision.
Be able to work on own initiative and under pressure.
Must be able to work flexible hours on a rota basis e.g. evenings, weekends, bank holidays.
Be able to work effectively as a team member
Skills Required : Must have a current driving license and use of a vehicle
Be able to otherwise demonstrate the ability to travel to sites around the Borough in an efficient manner.
Must have the ability to carry out physical care tasks, handling and moving techniques (experience of manual handling is preferred, but training will be given).
Future Prospects : Opportunity to apply for internal vacancies within Bedford Borough Council with training opportunities that support career progression.
Training to be Provided : Support Workers will receive an agreed training and development programme to ensure that they have the required skills to effectively undertake the role.
You will gain the following qualifications:
The Care Certificate
Health & Social Care Skills First Level 2 Diploma
Functional Skills in English and maths
Other Information : This service runs between 7.30am and 10.00pm, 365 days a year so Support Workers work 30 hours per week on an 8 week rolling rota.
The National Minimum Wage (NMW) for Apprentices in this post is £7.05 per hour if aged over 21 years or £5.60 per hour if aged 18 – 20 years.
The Wage for apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent training.
Things to consider : This service runs between 7.30am and 10.00pm, 365 days a year so Support Workers work 30 hours per week on an 8 week rolling rota.
Successful applicants must be at least 18 years old to work in this profession and have access to a car or means of mobility support, as the post includes the requirement to travel to and from service user`s homes within a given timescale, in accordance with the needs of the service.
The map below shows the employer's location