Job Title : Landscape Operative Apprentice
Employer : Woughton Community Council
Location : Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK6 4JH
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship Framework and Level : Horticulture - Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Sector : Horticulture
Vacancy Reference - : VAC-11729
Vacancy Short Description : Undertake a range of grounds maintenance and landscape work along with some minor tree work.
Qualifications Required : Good basic education.
Maths and English Level 1 minimum
Vacancy Full Description : Undertake a range of grounds maintenance and landscape work along with some minor tree work.
1. Undertaking grass cutting, hedge trimming, tree care, shrub pruning, planting, strimming and shredding and any other works necessary to deliver a programme of landscape works.
2. Manage a weed and disease control programme.
3. To ensure all vehicles, plant and equipment used are regularly checked, in accordance with routine operating requirements, including the completion of records.
4. To monitor facilities, plant and equipment to ensure safe working practices and compliance with health and safety regulations, and to maintain the correct reporting/maintenance system.
5. To employ the relevant health and safety regulations and their applications including.
6. To maintain excellent relations with the general public whilst identifying areas of specific community engagement opportunities to enhance the service.
7. To liaise with colleagues and partners with projects, initiatives and events as necessary
8. To attend supervision sessions and staff meetings and appraisals
9. To undertake training and personal development as necessary
10. Any other tasks that may be reasonably required in pursuit of Council objectives
Number of Positions Available : 1
Working Week : 39 hrs pw (Mon-Thur 7.30-16.00 Fri-7.30-15.00)
Salary : £262.50 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 02/06/2019
Possible Start Date : 01/07/2019
Personal Qualities : Highly committed, enthusiastic and self motivated
Able to prioritise work loads
Current full driving licence
Flexible, pro-active approach to tasks
Able to prioritise and manage time effectively
Flexible approach to working hours as some evening and weekend work may be necessary.
To be able to work in all types of weather
Skills Required : Current UK driving licence desirable but not essential
Future Prospects : To successfully complete and pass a Level 2 Qualification in Horticulture with ourselves and Shuttleworth College potentially to gain full time employment with us or other organisations in the horticultural industry.
Training to be Provided : You will gain the following qualifications:
Work-Based Horticulture City & Guilds/NPTC Level 2 Diploma
•Emergency First Aid at Work Level 2 Award
•Employment Rights and Responsibilities
•Functional Skills in English and maths.
During this apprenticeship you will study a range of topics, which could include:
•Monitoring and maintaining health and safety
•Maintaining and developing personal performance
•Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with others
•Clearing horticultural and landscaping sites
•Maintain moisture levels for crops or plants
•Provide nutrients to crops or plants
Other units will vary depending on which pathway you choose to follow.
You will also have the opportunity to take additional qualifications including Safe Use of Pesticides (PA1), Cylinder and Rotary Operated Pedestrian Mowers, Chainsaw and Related Operations, Safe Use of Hedge Trimmers and more.
Other Information : You will be required to attend1 day per week at Shuttleworth college in Bedfordshire.
Candidates must attend an initial interview with a member of the Bedford College Apprenticeship Recruitment Team and complete an online maths and English test which will be sent out prior to your initial interview if you meet the entry criteria. Please note this is part of the recruitment process and must be completed in order for your application to be progressed to the next stage.
Things to consider : The role is of a physically demanding nature, requiring reliability, flexibility, fitness and the ability to work outdoors for considerable periods in all weather conditions
The map below shows the employer's location